Saturday, June 24, 2006

People, you need to warn me about these things.

So, I've been reading The Devil Wears Prada. Not my usual literary fare, but it's well written not at all heavy, which I like for summer reading. Any number of people I respect have recommended it to me. Why wouldn't I read it?

So, why on EARTH did no one warn me that the main character's boyfriend is in Teach for America? I like the book, I really do. It's the sort of book I'd be likely to just sit down and read and read and read until I was done. Except for the fact that whenever the author writes about TFA, I have to put the book down and take a break until the nausea and dry-heaving subsides.

Seriously. Let's not be giving TFA any more Pollyana-like publicity. Sometimes I blame FOX and David E. Kelly for getting me into that whole mess in the first place.....had a character on Boston Public not have been a TFA teacher, I probably never would have googled it, never would have applied, interviewed, been accepted and subsequently sold my soul to Wendy Kopp.*

I'm really, really hoping that someone in Hollywood had the foresight to edit that crap out of the movie, for two reasons:

1. I don't want even more impressionable young idealists to get sucked into the crazy creepy cult that is TFA. I'm selfless like that.

2. I'd like to see the movie. But if I do, and the TFA references are still there, I don't know if I'll be able to suppress my urge to shout rude things at the screen. I mean, it's hard enough for me to suppress the urge to spontaneously start applauding whenever I see the Snakes on a Plane teaser. (The last time, I had to sit on my hands.) I'm just not that great at impulse control.

Is it so much to ask that pop culture not foil my efforts to completely forget that Teach for America exists anywhere but in my nightmares?

*Who may or may not wear Prada, but is most definitely the devil.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had such a terrible experience. We all need to take action to improve the state of our nation and that takes conviction and sacrifice. Maybe you should take the time you spend blogging and bashing Teach For America and give back to the community or create your own non profit to combat inequality.

My students can't read and at least I am in there doing my best to ensure that they will be able to read by the end of the year. Teach For America allowed me to get in a classroom and make an impact and for that I am grateful.

It sounds like you made the best decision for you, but I hope you don't keep more kids from having teachers by dissuading people via this blog.

June 27, 2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Flamingo Jones said...

Hmmm. I spend every day either tutoring disadvantaged elementary students or working to rehabilitate juvenile offenders. So, pardon me if I'm of the opinion that I can do whatever the hell I choose to with my free time.

There are a thousand and one places people can go to to find brain-washed-esque "This is why *I* Teach for America" b.s. I wasn't dissuaded from joining by negative accounts that I read before my interview process, and neither were you.

I know it's hard (because it's not the TFA way), but why don't you let people make up their own minds?

June 28, 2006 12:00 AM  
Blogger Ashleigh @ Rocks and Chickens said...

It was very interesting that you wrote this, as this novel was what introduced me to TFA and compelled me to apply.

While I do not regret my experience and am glad to have hopefully helped some kids in some way, I absolutely agree with you that TFA is a "crazy, creepy cult." Sometimes I feel as though I would not be surprised if they asked me to drink spiked Kool-Aid.

Good for you for continuing to tutor and work in rehabilitation centers. I am sure that that is difficult work, but extremely important.

And, yes, Wendy Kopp is indeed not my hero. I like that she has all the answers to education and knows what the problems in low-income environments are without ever having taught in one. My perspectives have certainly changed since actually teaching. Turns out the homeless child in our school IS affected by his situation despite what the TFA machine would like everyone to believe.

December 20, 2008 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home