Monday, July 10, 2006

Death and Chocolate Ice Cream

To me, chocolate ice cream will always remind me of death. I think it goes back to my grandparents' wakes and funerals when I was in middle school. Their youngest grandchild and the most freakishly over-sensitive person you'll ever meet, I took their deaths really hard. Various family members took me away from the funeral home every couple of hours, and chocolate malts were my comfort food of choice. Ever since, I don't usually crave chocolate ice cream.

So, I probably should have realized the Universe was trying to send me a message when I inexplicably picked up a box of chocolate ice cream sundae cones at the grocery store tonight. I should have known something bad would happen.

Then I got home to find that my rabbit, Bonny the Bunny, had died. It's devastating to me. I don't care how stupid that sounds. Bonny was a good pet, and probably the sweetest and most docile creature God ever created.

I think Bonny loved me too much. I've had her since college, and she was really attached. She always got kind of sick and moody whenever I was gone for a weekend or a few days. When I left her in Wisconsin while I moved to Louisiana for Teach for America, she developed some rather serious health conditions that never really cleared up, even after I came back home.

The fact that she loved me so much is what troubles me the most. Because as any two-bit psychoanalyst or my mother could tell you, deep down I firmly believe that I don't deserve to be loved. This explains a lot about why I'm so drawn to people who treat me like crap. (But that's an entirely different blog.) It also explains a lot about my attachment to my pets. They love me, and though I don't understand that, it's wonderful. On the flip side, I can love them without feeling like a fool, which is equally wonderful for me.

Losing that is really hard.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about Bonny Bunny. Of course you are sad, and will miss her. The love pets give is real. Be good to yourself. Will be thinking of you.

La Chuck

July 11, 2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

I'm sorry... that is an awful awful thing to experience. I hope the chocolate ice cream was able to comfort you some. I've lost a few pets lately and know exactly how it feels... my heart really goes out to you.

July 13, 2006 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The love pets give is real! badoink app ios Game Đế Chế

June 14, 2018 8:37 PM  
Blogger Long trần said...

Thanks a lot for sharing and I have some special things for you. If you are in free time.
nhạc chuông mario
can t stop thinking about you quotes
truyện hay về tình yêu
crocodile bathing games

June 18, 2018 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home